PHILOSOPHY OF CHILDREN'S MINISTRY AT WAYSIDE
Children learn to follow Jesus by watching and imitating their parents and other significant adults. They come to actually believe in Jesus through a much more mysterious way. It is said that faith is more caught than taught. Our church programs are designed to support you in nurturing your child's faith and to watch with you for the miracle.
Faith is more than knowing right from wrong. It is a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ that is nurtured in community. If this could be taught simply at home, there would be no need for church; however, faith takes a village.
We offer education and practice for children (of all ages). Sunday School teaches children the Bible stories they need to know and what Jesus means to them. WOW Kids Club offers an opportunity for Christian fellowship and opportunities to put their faith into action through music and service.
Our hope is that each child will catch the Spirit with children their own age and with caring adults at Wayside. Our prayer is that they begin here among us a lifelong journey of worship, prayer, study, and service in Jesus' name.
The Session, Christian Education Committee, and Pastors of Wayside Presbyterian Church
SUNDAY SCHOOL FOR ALL AGES
Sunday mornings from 9:45 am - 10:45 am
A Sunday School class is offered for every child from preschool to high school. The lessons are based on the lectionary readings and are tied to the worship service each Sunday.
- WOW KIDS CLUB - Wednesday afternoons from 4 pm to 6 pm
- WOW Kids Club, for 2nd through 5th graders, gives children an opportunity to learn and serve with their friends.
- MIDDLER WaYOUTH - Wednesday evenings from 6 pm to 7:30 pm
- Middler WaYouth is our youth group program that meets Wednesday evenings and includes fellowship opportunities, service projects, and discussion of issues that concern our 6th to 8th graders.
- CONFIRMATION CLASS:
- Confirmation is a bridge experience from middlers to senior high. Their class will help them forge new friends and new understandings of their life in the church. The class is available for ninth graders and older during the winter and spring months and is led by the pastors.
- SENIOR HIGH MINISTRIES - Sunday mornings from 9:45 am to 10:45 am
- Our Senior High students get together each week during the Sunday School hour with a varying schedule of lessons, fellowship meals, service projects for the community, and ministries for the church. Senior Highs are young adults of the church and should be empowered to choose to serve and attend as their parents do. To that end we offer Coffee Shop conversations once a month at the Brick House, and plan opportunities for them to share their talents and time.
ADDITIONAL RESOURCES & EVENTS
- CHRISTIAN EDUCATION AND MUSIC - Choirs are offered for all ages- see our Music page
WORSHIP BAGS are available for use during worship each Sunday to help children understand the ideas in the sermon.
- DEVOTIONALS are provided during Advent and Lent to help children prepare for Christmas and Easter.
- SHOWER FOR BABY JESUS is an annual Christmas party for children.
- EGGS-PERIENCE is an annual Easter Party for children.
- VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL is a popular weekday program held in July.
- Our LIBRARY offers a wonderful selection of books for children about childhood issues and Bible stories.
- Picture BIBLES are presented each year to our preschoolers and an adult Bible to our third graders.